Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Let Me Fill Up Your Glass... (Introductions and Stuff)

I've been thinking about blogging for a long time. I have been thinking about it, and talking about it, and thinking about it some more, and talking about it some more, and thinking, and talking; and talking and thinking.....and yet, never managing to actually sit down and write.

I think that's the biggest obstacle for me as a writer -- do I dare to add my drop of creativity to an ocean of internet that is already deep with insight and inspiration?  Will it matter, or will it just add to the cacophony of noise that begs for attention with every click of the mouse, every scroll of the newsfeed, every clever hashtag, every perfectly filtered photo?

I assume that these are questions with which anyone with creative leanings would struggle. Do I matter? Does my talent have worth? Will they care? But I have realized today, that in my life,  I have allowed these questions to translate to apathy. I can't stand for it any longer.

This afternoon, I had a leisurely lunch with a former teacher, Maria. It has been almost eleven years since I walked into her classroom for the first time, and it was so lovely to see her today. Even though our connectivity has been limited throughout the years, Maria's impact on my life is deep and fruitful. It was in numerous after-class conversations with her that I developed my affinity for modern political issues. I dare to assert that these conversations began to lay the foundation for my current graduate student status as an aspiring, macro-practice social worker.

As we spoke of all things new and nostalgic, Maria mentioned the award that I received seven years ago, when I was a senior at RHS. The award was one that spoke of my academic achievement, as well as my strong-willed perseverance in the face of physical disabilities.

"Didn't your informational plaque say something like, 'When life gives you lemons, make pink lemonade.'?" Maria asked as we both cut into our identical brunch of steak and eggs. "Because whenever I see any kind of pink lemonade, I always think of you, and that award."

"Well, thank you!" I smiled at her compliment. "Yeah, some day, I will write a memoir of my life, of what it's like to have Cerebral Palsy and be legally blind, and I am going to call the book 'Pink Lemonade'."

"It's such powerful imagery," she commented. "And, I will be honest, I hate the taste of pink lemonade, but, still, it always reminds me of you, and your positive outlook on life."

I was incredibly touched that she would remember that image, after all of these years. And it was that moment that I realized that I need to write this blog.

I'm not sure of the exact direction that this blog will take, but I am convince of the power of story, and its ability to create human connection. I am a twenty-something graduate student who is legally blind, has Cerebral Palsy, and who can't get enough of my cat, or Cary Grant films. I am a writer, a romantic, a dreamer, and a believer in all good things. I hope that my stories in this blog -- stories of trial and triumph, stories of humor and heartache, stories of transportation troubles and blindness-related blunders -- will bring a little sweetness to the daily business we call living.

So, join me, won't you? Sit a spell, and sip on some pink lemonade.

2 comments:

  1. Hey am I the first commenter? Proud of you for getting this blog started. I know this is just the start to something bigger! I have always liked pink lemonade and I know the sweeter part of life is important. But sometimes getting the pulp out of the glass is the hard work we do to make it better. Keep on sipping and who knows maybe Coca - Cola will make Pink Lemonade Coke! I know I would try it...Love you Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I found you on instagram and found your blog that way. I think you are a great writer. I am also visually impaired and your posts are encouraging to me. Just wanted to let you know. Keep writing :)

    ReplyDelete